Find a Park
The Urban Explorers: Camping for City Folk
If your city family is new to camping or haven’t been in the great outdoors in a few years, plenty of campgrounds near urban areas have accommodations for those who aren’t ready to dive into the tent/RV lifestyle just yet. We’ve highlighted a few great campgrounds with cabins, yurts, park models and even a caboose within a short drive of the city life. Don’t see your city? Use our Park Finder page and select the accommodation types you prefer to find your next adventure.
- Sandy Pond Campground is a peaceful and scenic hide-away just minutes away from the Cape Cod Canal. All of the exciting attractions of Plymouth and Cape Cod are easily accessible. With the swimming beach, canoe rentals and 2,000 feet of shoreline, Sandy Pond offers an ideal spot for both swimming and fishing enthusiasts. Accommodations include basic cabins for those who prefer a roof over their head at night.
- Normandy Farms features a 20,000 square foot recreation lodge with a heated indoor pool, sauna and wellness and fitness center; three outdoor pools; a business center; complimentary Wi-Fi; playgrounds; a fishing pond; an 18-hole disk golf course; dog park and much more. Accommodations include deluxe cabin rentals with porch and fireplace and unique yurt rentals equipped with a flat screen, fireplace, kitchenette and more.
- Located in Southern Maine's most sought after vacation destination, Hemlock Grove Campground is a short ways away from miles of area beaches, hiking and biking trails, amusement parks, golfing, museums and zoos. Accommodations include cabins for six that include linens, flat screen TVs, central heat and A/C, full kitchen and more.
- Stay in a tree house or a brand new hobbit house at Acres of Wildlife Campground in the Sebago Lake area of Southern Maine. There’s a stocked private lake with fishing, a large sandy beach, activities, restaurant, store and more. Other accommodation options include traditional cottages, rooms at The Campground Inn on the Waterfront and rooms in the Moose Lodge.
- Guests can stay in a refurbished caboose as they enjoy picturesque camping as it was meant to be - with lots of trees, a babbling creek, fireflies and a campfire under a starlit sky. Located on Historic Route 66, this KOA is less than 1 mile from Six Flags St. Louis and less than 30 minutes from other St. Louis attractions. Camping and deluxe cabins are also available.
- Sundermeier RV Park is 20 miles west of St. Louis, which features the Gateway Arch, numerous museums, St. Louis Zoo, concerts and Broadway performances at the Fabulous Fox Theater and the Muny Opera in Forest Park. There are activities for everyone at Sundermeier including frontier re-enactments, arts and crafts demonstrations and holiday activities. Accommodations include sleeping and deluxe cottages.
- San Diego KOA Resort is an award-winning, family just minutes from all of San Diego’s attractions. Guests can enjoy the new jumping pillows, pool, rock climbing wall, giant playground, fun cycle bike rentals, The Surf Shack Shootout Game, summer staffed activities and new onsite beach-themed restaurant. Accommodations include deluxe cabins, camping cabins and safari tents.
- Santee Lakes Recreation Preserve is an award winning, 190 acre Park and Campground surrounding seven scenic lakes filled with recycled water. The park provides a safe and tranquil setting for camping, fishing, picnics, fitness, bird watching, boating, biking and special events in a natural environment. Accommodations include cabins along the waterfront and floating cabins that include a private pedal boat, and a large front porch with patio table and chairs.
- Minutes from the sugar-white Gulf of Mexico beaches, this Gulf Coast KOA Holiday is located in tropical paradise setting along a mangrove-lined bayou. Campground amenities include a fishing dock, two hot tubs, a crystal clear outdoor pool, and community-focused programs. Accommodations include a variety of cabins from rustic camping cabins with a set of bunk beds to deluxe cabins overlooking the water with a full bath that sleeps eight.
- Winter Quarters Manatee RV Resort in Florida has a great, central location, close to Anna Marie Island, Siesta Key beaches, St. Armand's Circle, Ringling Museum and Busch Gardens. The beautiful Sarasota area also offers the finest beaches, sport fishing, exciting attractions and restaurants for enjoyment. Accommodations include park models that sleep four and two bedroom rental trailer that can sleep up to six.