Find a Park
History for $2,000, Alex: Parks for the History Buff
If you’re looking to get off the beaten “historical” path, we’ve listed some great histrocial spots with fantastic campgrounds just a short distance away. Brush up on some history by day and enjoy the campgrounds by night. Also makes an excellent “How I spent my summer” essay.
Springwood - Hyde Park, NY
If you’re looking for a new deal on your vacation, take a trip to Springwood where Franklin Delano Roosevelt spent his summers. Want to brush up on your FDR knowledge before the trip? This is the setting of the 2012 film, Hyde Park on Hudson.
- Nearby Park:Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park at Lazy River is a great spot for camping families with two pools, three playgrounds, a game room, kayak, bike and pedal cart rentals. Overlooking the Wallkill River and with a majestic view of the Shawangunk Ridge, this park is an ideal place to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
New Orleans, LA
With the French Quarter brimming with history and the World War II Museum, families have a lot to choose from in the Big Easy.
- Nearby Park: Jude Travel Park Of New Orleans is just five miles from the historic French Quarter. Looking for help planning your trip? As native New Orleanians, the folks at Jude Travel Park can help book and sell tickets for swamp tours, city tours, Natchez boat cruises and more.
Four score and seven… you know the rest. One of the most significant spots from the Civil War, the family is sure to come away with facts and maybe even a memorized speech.
- Nearby Park: Gettysburg Campground is located just 3 miles from the center of town and sits on 26 acres in historic Gettysburg, Pennsylvania bordered by beautiful Marsh Creek. The campground offers planned activities for the whole family, in addition to tent and RV sites, Gettysburg Campground also has rustic cabins and full-facility cottages.
For the American Revolution buff, you’re not going to want to miss a stop to Lexington & Concord. Fought on April 19, 1775, this battle kicked off the American Revolutionary War after tensions had been brewing for years.
- Nearby Park: Boston Minuteman Campground offers tent sites, RV sites and cabins to accommodate all levels of campers interested in learning more about the American Revolution. After a day of learning, enjoy the pool, volleyball courts, basketball and more.
Santa Fe, NM
The oldest capital city in North America and oldest European community west of the Mississippi, Santa Fe has historical spots aplenty including the San Miguel Mission. It was actually established thirteen years before the Plymouth Colony was settled by the Mayflower Pilgrims.
- Nearby Park: Santa Fe Skies RV Park is just south of Santa Fe city on the top of a hill. Visitors can enjoy a beautiful panoramic view of the Santa Fe area including the Rio Grande Valley, Sangre Cristo Mountains and the Turquoise Trail.
Fort Clatsop/Lewis & Clark National Park
Go back in time to the days of Lewis and Clark at Fort Clatsop, the winter encampment for the Corps of Discovery from December 1805 to March 1806.
- Nearby Park: Astoria Warrenton Seaside KOA Campground is located on the northern tip of Oregon and just a mile from the ocean. After exploring Fort Clatsop, guests can enjoy hiking trails, maritime museum and historical lighthouses and more.