Family Activities: Water Wars, Slides, Splashpads and More
Private parks aren’t limiting themselves to poolside waterslides. Many are investing in everything from spraygrounds and splashpads to floating trampolines, floating rock-climbing walls, floating waterslides and water balloon war games.
When families visit the Ventura Ranch KOA in Santa Paula, Calif. this fall, they will not only get a chance to try out the park’s 25-foot rock climbing wall and 1,400 feet of zip lines, they’ll also be able to cool off while racing down the park’s two, 140-foot long waterslides, which are expected to be completed by late September along with the park’s swimming pool.
“We are trying to create a place where families can have and create memories,” said park owner Scott Cory.
Meanwhile, other campgrounds across the country are busy installing other types of water related attractions ranging from spraygrounds to floating trampolines and Water Wars games, in which opposing teams use specially designed catapults with water balloons to see how much they can saturate their fellow campers.
Caboose Lake Campground in Remington, Ind. is among the latest parks to add the Water Wars game to its growing list of water related amenities. The park, which features a historic caboose that has been converted into rental unit, has also purchased several inflatable water toys for its guests enjoyments.
Even in the Wisconsin Dells, which is widely considered to be the waterpark capital of the world, campgrounds are continuing to add new water-related amenities.
Sherwood Forest Camping & RV Park in the Wisconsin Dells recently installed a toddler friendly 2,500-square foot splashpad and a 1,500 square foot swimming pool.
Here is a sampling private campgrounds across the country with unique water-related attractions and activities:
- Baraboo Hills Campground, Baraboo, Wis.
- Cape Hatteras KOA, Rodanthe, N.C.
- Cherrystone Family RV Resort, Cheriton, Va.
- Hayward, Wis. KOA
- Lakewood Camping Resort in Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- Long’s Retreat Family Resort, Latham, Ohio
- Port Huron KOA, Kimball, Mich.
- Merry Mac’s Campground, Merrimac, Wis.
- Mount Rushmore KOA, Hill City, S.D.
- Ocean Lakes Family Campground, Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- River Bend RV Resort, Watertown, Wis.
- Smokey Hollow Campground, Lodi, Wis.
- Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park in Mexico, N.Y.
- Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park in Natural Bridge Station, Va.
- Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park in North Java, N.Y.
- Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park in Quarryville, Pa.
- Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park in the Wisconsin Dells, Wis.