Animals in the Wild
Cats - Cougars or Mountain Lions
- Staying calm is the most important. Animals can sense your fear.
- Do not run! The cat is likely to chase you, thinking that you are prey.
- Maintain eye contact with the cat at all times.
- Be BIG!. Stand up tall, spread your legs, raise your arms, hold your jacket open if you're wearing one, anything that makes you look bigger than you really are.
- Make NOISE and LOTS of it. These animals are likely to run if you make noise.
- If the cat should attack, FIGHT BACK!
When you return to camp, be sure to notify the appropriate authorities to report seeing one, regardless of whether it attacks you or not!
- Stay Calm!
- If you see the cute little bear cub in your walks, GET AWAY from it. Wherever there is a baby bear, there is a Mama Bear, and she will protect her cub at any cost!
- If a bear should attack you, FIGHT BACK! Most animals do not expect their prey to do so.
- If fighting back doesn't work, roll yourself into the tightest ball, with your arms over your head and your chin resting on your chest. If the bear thinks that you're dead, it might go away.
When you return to camp, be sure to notify the appropriate authorities to report it, regardless of whether it attacks you or not!
© Copyright 2015 Go Camping America